Friday, January 9, 2009

Road Trip!

If you ask me, there is nothing better than a last minute road trip! I've been wanting to get up to Tahquamenon Falls for awhile now to see what everything looks like all frozen. So when I woke up today, I decided today would be the day. Of course that meant I got a late start, and for some reason, Tahquamenon Falls seemed a whole lot longer away from my house today than it has in the past. And if there is one thing I hate most about winter, it has to be the fact that it gets so dark so darn early. Needless to say, I didn't have a lot of time to goof off like I wanted to. So my first stop was the Lower Falls. I am pretty sure that the campground is open all year around there, so I thought I would be able to get back there. But when I pulled in, there were two cars parked near the entrance, but for the life of me I couldn't remember how far away the falls are from there. So I opted to skip out on those this time around, since they aren't as spectacular as the Upper Falls, and just head to the Upper Falls. I was surprised how accessible the Upper Falls were. Sure only half the parking lot was plowed, which was no big deal since I was the only car there anyways, but the path to the falls was pretty well packed down. I even opted to carefully navigate down the slippery steps so I could get as close as possible. The falls were awesome! I would say half of the falls were frozen, but the water still came raging over the ledge. The orange color of the water seemed intensified surrounded by all the white snow. It was awesome!! At the end of the day, I had just enough daylight to head up to Whitefish Point to see what, if anything, was going on up there. The whole UP seemed to be totally abandoned. There were no people, no cars, all the driveways were buried in snow, businesses and hotels were shut down for the season, it was all just so eerily quiet. And as expected, Whitefish Point was all desolate. Oddly enough though, when I finally made it out to the beach, there was mostly sand. It was so tempting to kick my boots off and go running through the sand. But reality quickly came back when a cold brisk breeze knocked me in the face and made my eyes water. It was freezing up there! I didn't stick around too long, just long enough to snap a couple of pictures. No standing around enjoying the breeze and throwing rocks in the water like I normally do when I visit Lake Superior! Other than hitting a bird with the jeep on the way up (seriously, a bird, caught me by surprise!), today was a day well spent!

1 comment:

32 degrees said...

don't u just love spontaneity? get up and go. See and do. take pics and leave your mark. I see you added feedjit - cool to see who's viewing ur stuff. check out my Pictured Rocks info -- I'm finally kayaking it this summer.